Image Source courtesy of Basketman
- Children should play on balconies and patios under supervision of adults. When children are left on their own, they tend to explore the most of dangerous things.
- Placing furniture on balconies could lead to children climbing on them. Hence, it should be avoided.
- When searching for vacant apartments, it is best to settle
for those that have full barriers on the balconies, that is, from the ceiling
downwards. In case they are metal bars, the gaps between them should not be
wide since a child can slip through easily. The windows should also have strong
barriers as children love to climb on them to see the world below.
- Staircases should be free from strewn toys and other objects as they can cause falls.
- Installing a gate to prevent crawling babies from getting to the staircase is a good idea. However, it should be adjustable or be removed when the baby grows old enough to manage climbing on it.
- Incomplete buildings pose greater risks of falls for children. Therefore, no matter how inexpensive they may be, parents should avoid them.
- Children living in apartments with elevators should be taught on elevator safety.